Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Frivolity

Say that ten times fast *laugh*!  I had a hard time saying it once!  It's probably doable but I'm not going to try it... too much concentration!

Over the past week (or two), I've had two new visitors to my bird feeder station.  I finally made some time today to sit on my patio and try to capture them with my camera.  I went out around 4:00 for about an hour.  It was getting hot and I was just about ready to go in when one of them finally showed up!  He had his back to me but I took pictures anyway.




A Red Bellied Woodpecker.  Why they're call red bellied when the only red is on their heads I don't know!  When they first arrived, they would land on this metal feeder and practically hang upside down while eating.  Then you would hear a rat-a-tap-tap-tap.  I thought this might be a bit uncomfortable for them so I purchased a bird cake to go in the cake feeder that I had for large birds.  They landed on it a couple of times and seemed to enjoy it but then they were right back to the metal feeder.  Go figure!  I think the squirrels are paying them to eat from there because for the one seed they actually eat, hundreds go flying (OK, maybe that's stretching it bit, but it sure seems like hundreds!)!  They take their beaks and swish from side to side.
Can you see the seeds flying in the front, right corner of the feeder?  Yea, the squirrels are lovin' it!  They're all hanging out below the feeders just waiting for all the flying seeds!  I don't mind, really.  Between the mourning doves and the squirrels nothing goes to waste!  So enjoy my feathered and furry friends!

~~~~~

Tomorrow, I'm hosting a day of scrapbooking here at the country homestead for a couple of good friends.  I'm excited about cropping again!  It's been too long since I've had all my papers, scissors, photos, pens, stickers, etc. all scattered on the table!  We all got together last month and had such a good time that we decided we needed to do this once a month.  Gonna be fun!

I hope you have a great weekend too!

Till next time,


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! I really like your metal feeder! I know what ya mean about flying seed. There are some birds that seems to pick through my feeders to find their favorite, tossing the rest out...but like you said, the Mourning Doves & squirrels are happy to clean it up! Haha. Have a great scrapbooking time! Hope we get to see photos.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Great shot of the red bellied woodpecker!

TexWisGirl said...

red-bellies actually have a red tinge near their lower tummies. since the 'red-headed woodpecker' title was already taken by one with a full red head, i guess they had to go with something much more obscure. :)

have fun scrappin'!

Carolyn said...

I am listening to the resident woodpecker have his way with my 100 year old maple tree right now. They are sooo pretty. I hope you have a wonderful time scrapbooking. I'm going to have my lady friends over for the same reason very soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...