Our closet in the 5th wheel was having some issues and looked as though it would collapse at any second.
I held my breath every time I hung something up hoping that whatever I had just hung up would not be the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.
We decided that fixing it needed to be a priority rather than waiting until it became a necessity.
If you look to the left in this photo you'll notice the shelf dipping and twisting a bit and 'leaning' forward...
A closer view...
There was also some water damage to the shelf at the far left.
This one doesn't show the twisting, leaning and dipping so much but you can see the typical closet rod for 5th wheels & travel trailers...
... a real pain when trying to hang those thick, chunky, plastic hangers into those little slots or when trying to get your clothes off said hangers.
I started purchasing felt hangers that had small metals hooks to replace those plastic ones but because of the expense I was purchasing only a few at a time.
Ah, there's the culprit (sorry it's so blurry but the closet doors weren't off yet and I was using the Auto setting and couldn't get the camera to focus where I wanted it to)...
... a knot smack-dab in the center of the board that had split.
After deciding what all he needed, CountryBoy and I headed to town to get what was needed.
He bought a piece of trim to attach to the existing
naughty knotty board (pun intended!) that would firm it up. It also would allow a 'lip' to extend above the shelf so that whatever's up there won't fall off as easily.
We also decided a 1 inch piece of metal conduit would be perfect to use as the rod.
Here's the closet redo...
No more saggy, twisty shelf and rod!
I am really pleased with how it turned out!
We can also hang and get our clothes much easier now.
And, I'm not afraid to hang the clothes up anymore on laundry day!
When starting a project like this in a small living space, it really needs to get done in one day.
Seeing as we had to get the supplies the same day I am thankful that CountryBoy did not run into any snags while doing it.
This is why it had to be done in one day...
... so that we'd have a place to sleep that night!
While CountryBoy was tackling the closet, I was tackling the rest of the handles in the bedroom.
I took the doors off as well as the handles and hinges, spray-painted the handles and hinges, cleaned and polished the wood, put the hardware back on and hung the doors back up. I managed to get the bedroom handles finished and the doors above the washer/dryer.
Since it's not windy today and should be a nice day I am going to attempt to finish up the cabinet doors in the bathroom. That will leave me with 16 more to do in the living room and kitchen.
I'm really pleased with how well they're turning out too.
It seems that no matter where CountryBoy and I live or what we live in we will always have a project or two to work on. That's just the way we are I guess.
I'm not sure if having two creative and capable people in the same vicinity is a good thing or bad, ha! Sure keeps us out of trouble though. Usually!
Next up, will be a custom spice rack that will hang in our limited kitchen wall space to free up valuable kitchen counter space. Of course, I'll let you guys know how it turns out when it's finished!
Till next time,