Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Baby Face...

... you got the cutest little baby face!

As a neighbor and I headed into town yesterday, we passed another neighbor's field and I noticed something small, brown and slimy lying on the ground and a cow licking it.  A light bulb went off and I realized that a calf had just been born.  I turned the car around and we pulled over to watch as Mama cow cleaned her baby.  I was kicking myself because I did not have my camera with me.  (One of these days, I'll learn *sigh*).  We were hoping to see the baby get up and start nursing.  After several failed attempts at getting up we headed on out to do our errands.  On the way back, the baby was standing up and nursing.  I decided to go home and get my camera and then we went back.  The baby had already finished nursing and was taking a nap.


Mama cow is busy eating the afterbirth.


My neighbor made the comment that she was thankful that the Good Lord did not design humans to eat the afterbirth!  So true; can you imagine?  Eww!

Mama finished the afterbirth and is now nudging the baby to wake up.


Such a good Mama!



So sweet!


What a sweet baby face!



Time to try getting up again.


The baby is about 3 1/2 hours old at this point.



Standing up is hard work!




One proud Mama and such a good Mama too!




After the baby had been standing up for a bit it started getting frisky, running and doing little jumps.  It was so cute to watch!



It was amazing to watch firsthand the instinct that God gave animals.  So beautiful!

Linking up with


Till next time,


16 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

really precious! such a good mom, too!

Debbie Linkous said...

So sweet! :)

Patrice said...

I've seen the same sight here for almost twenty years and I never tire of it. She was definitely being a good mom.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Amazing pictures !

Trails of Grace said...

What an amazing gift that you got to be a part of! Those are some really sweet pics. So she only had one calf? Sweet! PS. Love your soothing music on your blog.

Tammy said...

These are so precious.

MarmePurl said...

Wonderful, wonderful Post!

Unknown said...

What a great start to life you were able to witness!

~Andrea

Charade said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful experience.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

You know - I heard that way back in the day humans did eat the afterbirth. I don't know how they would know that though? But I'm glad it's a tradition that lost popularity, lol!

What a sweet face that baby has!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

hopped over thanks to "rural journal" ... is it weird that i'm tearing up ... that is so sweet. i've never seen that before. now i live in the country & see babies in the field all the time. but never the whole process ... i agree with you about the afterbirth stuff... that was kind yucky. i did pass those pics pretty quick. ha. ha!! thank you for sharing. a learning experience indeed. (:

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous and brings back memories, too. We had our first calf born on our farm last spring. Country life is the best!

Nancy said...

I was thinking the same thing as Lisa -- I bet those cavewomen ate that stuff!

The photos are so precious -- what a great moment to capture. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Rural Thursdays. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I love seeing the little ones when they first start trying to stand up.

Millie said...

That is a very cute baby. My human says our cow is going to have a calf again this year. I just hope it doesn't try to play with me.

Lou Belcher said...

Terrific photos... So precious.

Thanks for posting all of them.

Lou

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...