Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Gardening Skills (or Lack Thereof!)

If you've been reading my blog for a while then you know about the poor yield we had from this year's garden.  With the exception of the okra.  We are still cutting a few okra every other day or so.  We've collected two gallon-size freezer bags full so far.  We also managed to get a handful of blackeye peas and lima beans.  Other than that, the garden was basically awash this year.  Again.  Sigh!

Although, the ONE plant that I had almost nothing to do with has flourished.  Go figure!

Apparently, I threw a cucumber in the compost bin at one time and lo and behold, before too long a cucumber plant was growing in the bin.  I decided to leave it be as I've not had luck in transplanting cucumbers.

I think I made the right decision.


CountryBoy and I could not get over how huge the leaves were and how many blooms there were!


It has produced several huge cucumbers with more on the way.


They are very good too.  Even though the cucumbers were large the seeds inside remained small and soft.


I'm quite pleased with the yield from this plant that I basically had nothing to do with, hahaha!

In other news, I mentioned in yesterday's post about my seemingly paralyzed duck.  I went to bed last night thinking that she would not make it through the night.  I said a prayer that she would be well in the morning and then fell asleep.  I got up this morning and guess what?  There was no duck in the coop.  I looked out in the run and didn't see any duck lying around out there either.  I did a head count and all nine ducks were walking around and quacking like nothing was ever wrong.  I really don't know what to think but I'm happy!

On the flip side, LizzieBelle woke up feeling puny this morning.  She did not eat her breakfast nor did she eat her heart worm pill which she normally gobbles both down with no hesitations.

Since I am concerned about her severe case of heart worms (in which we stopped her treatments during her pregnancy) I stopped in at the vets office and asked what they thought was going on and to see if I needed to bring her in or if we should start the treatments up again now that the puppies are almost weaned.

The vet assured me that LizzieBelle's heart sounds good (she listened to it last week during their appointment) and said that she may not be feeling well if she's been cleaning up after the puppies.  And yesterday she did clean up a pile before I could get to it.  Ewww!

The vet suggested feeding her chicken & rice, beef & rice or egg & rice for a week.  I chose egg & rice since I  have a few eggs laying around, haha, and LizzieBelle gobbled that right up, whew!

Now, if I could just get the puppies to pee on their puppy pads my life would be SO much easier!  Hopefully some day soon they'll figure out that those pads are for peeing & pooping on rather than playing on and wadding up in a ball... sigh.

Till next time,


2 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

hoping little mommy dog will be okay...

Country Gal said...

Glad to hear all is ok ! When I read about the duck and LizzieBelle I got worried here ! Yes rice is good for dogs that have lets say the runs if that's what it is she has that's making her feel ill ! Hope your week goes smoothly um no pun intended here ! Have a good day !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...