Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cloudy Days

We've had several days of gray, cloudy skies here with some rain.  Some much needed rain I might add.  The dust level in the 5th wheel has dropped significantly since the rain, yay!

I've really enjoyed watching the skies these past few days.  The clouds are so intense and yet all that resulted from them was a bit of rain.

If we saw clouds like that developing in Florida, we knew we were probably in for a doozy of a storm with lots of rain, thunder and lightning.

Here, not so much.

Another difference is the harshness of the sun here.  It's been a challenge to shoot photos on a sunny day.  The subject tends to get washed out and the true colors are lost.

To help combat that, I purchased a Hoya ND400 filter. 

The filter is almost black but it allows me to take a longer exposure.

I tested it out with the clouds over the mountains the other day...






I'm pleased with the filter.  I think it helped to capture the medium tones that sometimes get lost as well as the highlights and shadows.

I hope to test it out on a sunny day and see what it does.

What is your favorite piece of camera 'extras'?

Till next time,





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I haven't bought any camera accessories in forever. Lovely cloud shots you took... the filter seems to do what it is supposed to do. xox

Gail Dixon said...

I love my circular polarizer but I've been wanting a neutral density filter too. From your photos it certainly appears to do a wonderful job. Thanks for the reminder!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

What gorgeous pictures! Such a reminder of God's amazing beauty.

Ronda Walker said...

I love clouds, thanks for the pictures. Do batteries count?

TexWisGirl said...

those are beautiful. i like ronda's 'battery' answer. :)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Very impressive clouds! Your ND filter seems to be a beauty.

Debbie Linkous said...

For the first time in a long time I wished I had my camera out last weekend. Maybe I'm finally getting that "bug" back....I hope! I can't wait to see what the filter does for you on a sunny day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...