Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

In the last several posts, I've shown you snippets of my front yard transformation.

Here are a few shots of one of the flowers I have hanging in a pot from a shepherds hook.


The flower is a Purslane.


Evidently, the bees are enjoying the new addition to the yard!



In other news, one of my Rhode Island Reds got out today while I was trying to get in to get the eggs, feed and water them.

The girls crowd around the gate when they see you have something in your hand because they just know that it's something for them to eat which makes it difficult to get in the gate without stepping on a chicken or two.

The only thing I had in my hand this time was the egg basket but two of the girls jumped onto the ledge when I opened the gate.  The Red jumped out and the Green (Americauna) jumped back into the run.

Each time I tried to grab her she would go nuts and fly into the chicken wire trying to get back in where her friends are.  This went on for a good three minutes and I was afraid she was going to hurt herself.  Meanwhile, ol' Roostie is going nuts cuz one of his girls is out!

I finally managed to grab her and I carried her in with me.  She was happy to be with her buddies again... silly girl!

I ended up with 24 eggs today in my egg basket and the chickens enjoyed some scratch.  (For those of you who don't know what scratch is it's a mixture of whole grains and cracked corn.)  I give them some scratch every evening after I gather the eggs as a treat.  They love it!

Till next time,




3 comments:

Country Gal said...

WOOOWEE sounds like you were having a tuff time there with the girls .When the hens would cluck frantically cause they were upset or got scared my mum and I would always say the girls are out of their nut again ! Just a British farmer frase lol . Wonderful photos ! Hope all is quiet at the coop now ! Have a good day !

TexWisGirl said...

your bloom is very pretty - so are your bee shots. :)

Nancy said...

We play this little game, my chickens and I, every night it seems. Always a few straglers that don't want to go in just yet. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...