Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What? Half The Year Is Gone Already?

Hey folks!

Can you believe that half the year is already behind us?

Mercy, where DOES the time go?!

I thought since we've made it through half the year 2014 that it would be a good time to reflect on those list of goals we made at the beginning of this year.  To find out what we have accomplished and what still needs some attention.

As a recap, here is a brief list of my goals for this year...

- finish works-in-progress and minimizing my many crafts/hobbies down to two ongoing projects at a time
- consolidate my recipes into one or two cookbooks
- create a personalized pantry/staples list
- continue the pursuit of simplicity
- start a home apothecary
- save money and pay off debt
- improve photography skills
- find a way to make money from home doing what I enjoy

If you'd like to read the original post you can find it HERE.

So, let's see how I'm doing so far on accomplishing my goals for the year...

 - minimizing my crafts...

I set this goal mainly because of my lack of space issue while living in the fifth wheel.  At the time I set my goals I had five projects in the works.  I am happy to report that ALL five of those projects have been completed, woohoo!

I currently have one project in the works...


a gender-neutral baby blanket that will be for sale in my Etsy site once I reopen it (hopefully in a week or two).

I am on the last skein of yarn for the body then it's on to the border which shouldn't take too long to finish.

Since I am so close to finishing this project I am concentrating on it and not starting any others till this one is done.

That being said, not only did I finish all five projects I had in the works at the beginning of the year, I am sticking to my goal of only two projects in the works at any given time.  yay!

- consolidate recipes
 
ugh.  I am still working on that one.  Probably not as diligently as I should but I have started going through my cookbooks, one at a time, and typing up recipes.  If it's a recipe I haven't tried but sounds good then it gets saved in a Folder  titled 'Recipes to Try'.  If it's a tried & true recipe we like then it gets saved in the appropriate Folder.  Eventually, I want to print them out so that I have access to my recipes if/when I have no Internet access or my computer goes kaput.

I have managed to purge and donate a few cookbooks already but, I still have a long ways to go.

Note to self:  be more diligent in going through my cookbooks

- create a personalized pantry/staple list

I have not spent much time doing this.  Although I have mentally added several items to this list I have not written them down so that it's easier to remember come shopping day.

I also found that I was picking up the pantry/staple items on a regular basis when we were in one location but after moving to another location many of those items were not available at the stores in our new town/area.  It's kinda frustrating.  For example, I found many types of frozen beans at our last location and I always bought a bag or two to have on hand to add to many dishes since they are good sources of protein and have many beneficial nutrients in them.  The fact that they were frozen and NOT in a can made them even better.  But, I can not find them at any of the stores in our new location.  Frustrating I tell ya!

So, needless to say, I still need to create that list and just roll with the punches if I can't find an item or two on my list.

- continue the pursuit of simplicity

This has been going fairly well especially the last couple of months since I finished work and am home all the time (literally, wink!). 

I filled the back seat of the truck up last week with items to be donated and CountryBoy and I dropped it off at the thrift store the other day.  yay!

There is a ways to go in the declutter department but I'm heading in the right direction.

Another thing I simplified was paperwork.  I created a Home Binder making it easier to see what's due when, pay bills, file them, check things off the proverbial To Do list, plan projects, etc., etc.,  You can read more about that HERE.

- start a home apothecary

I have to admit that I have not spent as much time as I would like in researching herbs and home remedies but I have made a few things so, technically, I guess I've started it!  I've made a warming oil for joint aches & pain and I have a headache tincture in the works.


It has to continue to 'brew' for at least another week to three weeks.

(I showed it to CountryBoy and he said "maggots?"  I told him yes but really it's lavender.  Silly man!  I eventually told him what it was but I don't think he believed me, heehee!)

I still need to research remedies for a few of the more common ailments such as allergies, cold & flu, etc., then order the necessary herbs and make the remedy so that it will be ready should we need it.

- save money and pay off debt

We've managed to save some money and we've paid off the debt we had at the beginning of the year but, we had to buy a new truck so now we have that debt to pay off.

We have an aggressive plan to pay off the truck loan in two years yet still continue to save money for our future farm!

- improve photography skills

Pshaw.  I am sad to say that THAT hasn't happened.  Hasn't even been attempted yet.  I've not even taken very many photos this year.  Hopefully that will change.

- find a way to make money at home doing what I enjoy

I've recently come up with an idea.  I'm in the process of designing it and trying to mentally figure out the logistics as to how to make this idea come to fruition in a simple manner.  If so, then I may be on to something, wink!

It involves this...


and a few other items that I still need to purchase.

You'll have to stay tuned.  Oh, and cross your fingers for me!  I'm really hoping I can make this happen fairly easily and if so, then this may be my marketable item for making money at home.

So, there ya have it.  An update of my goals for 2014.

I'm satisfied with what I've accomplished so far.  If I continue to steadily pursue my goals throughout the rest of the year then I think I'll be in good shape.

How bout you?  How are your goals for this year coming along?  We're halfway through the year so now is a good time to ponder, reflect and maybe even update your goals.

Till next time my friends...



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...